Wednesday, August 13, 2014

My Tribute to Robin Williams




As you know, we lost Robin Williams yesterday.  I can vividly remember watching his stand-up a few years back and being in complete awe of his raw talent, his improvisational abilities, his energy and his sheer light.  He was walking effervescence and a true comedic genius. Addiction and depression are two very real, legitimate illnesses.  They have held some of the most special people captive as evidenced by the deaths of Philip Seymour Hoffman and Robin Williams, among so many others. This morning I read an article about Robin Williams and his battle with addiction and depression.  I became infuriated when I read several ignorant comments posted by truly daft, uneducated people who foolishly sought to undermine the influences that these respective diseases can have on a person unlucky enough to be tormented by them. Their power is 100% indisputable. Addiction and Depression are both characterized by chemical imbalances.  To those of you who dispute this scientific 
FACT I implore you: Wise up, get your head out of your ass, do your research and show some compassion for fuck's sake. You're smarter than that.  Imagine what it must feel like to sink so deeply into despair that the thought of simply waking up in the morning is unbearable.  Just imagine that. When people like Philip Seymour Hoffman and Robin Williams succumb to addiction and/or depression it isn't selfish, it's heartbreaking.  This is my first and only rant I will post on Toe Pick because I obviously like to keep things light around here, but I wanted to address this subject because it's something I have and always will take very seriously.  Ok, onto funnier stuff:

Mrs. Doubtfire is my favorite Robin Williams movie.  In it, he showcases his depth as both a comedic and dramatic actor.  He makes you laugh and he makes you cry.  He simply makes you feel.  It's one of those movies you can watch 27514 times and never become sick of.  Holy shit, I sound like Siskel or Ebert. I wanted to post this entry I wrote about 3 years ago (as evidenced by the blurry Blackberry photos and mediocre writing) as a tribute to Robin Williams and this amazing movie:

Daniel awkwardly poses on the famous stairwell on that fateful night.
It was a cool San Francisco night.  My friend Daniel and I found ourselves meandering down Steiner street after deviating from the crowd at Perry's.  As I went to adjust the straps on my cute new Anthropologie platforms I stumbled and realized that they had been replaced by size 12 Cole Haan Air Nikes.  I became confused and disoriented as I struggled to accept the fact that I cannot hold on to a pair of shoes for longer than 3 weeks.  Disappointed, I peered up and saw a large, beautiful, tall, structure that I had grown to love and become very familiar with, and I am not talking about Daniel. I was in the presence of something much greater than my Nike Cole Haan Dilemma. Before me stood the MRS. DOUBTFIRE HOUSE.  I immediately kicked my Cole Haans aside and embarked into free style of the opening scene song by House of Pain “Jump Around Jump Up Jump Up and Get Down..."  Somewhere during the free style I managed to get my camera out and began snapping photos.  The dancing stopped abruptly when the front door opened.  Not sure if I would be arrested or awarded for my dancing I stared sheepishly at two individuals who appeared to be the owners of the house.  "Haaay! I yelled. This is the Mrs. Doubtfire house, correct?"  The young gentleman confirmed this and I asked politely if my young apprentice and I could take a peek inside.  He motioned for us to enter.  I was elated.  Something came over me as I set foot inside.  After probably about 48 viewings of this classic film I finally felt like I was coming home.  Daniel (Daniel Hillard, I presume?), in a somewhat altered state and unsure of his surroundings asked the young couple for a glass of water.  I proceeded to host an impromptu tour of the house all the while recapping set design scene by scene.  That's right, I was giving the owners a tour of their house.  Daniel served as the ideal model to bring life into the photographs.  After I gave the couple a tour of the downstairs part of their house I began ascending the stairs in hopes of catching a glimpse of the infamous bathroom where Joey Lawrence's little brother discovered Mrs Doubtfire is "a he, hes a she she's a he she" (aka Me and Leila Ann's fave scene).  Turns out the young couple did have some boundaries, they forbade me from going upstairs and Daniel and I took that as our cue to leave.  All in all, it was one of the breast nights of my life.  Here are some pics of this very famous house.

Daniel's face is blurred in order to protect the innocent

As I hold this cold meat, I am reminded of Winston.

Same kitchen (this is the young man who let us in)

Recognize this?  Its the famous stairwell the children march down before they are about to meet Mrs. D.  (Same carpet!!!)
A compilation of photos from my visits to the Doubtfiya house over the years
This whole experience reminds me of the time I drove around the city for nearly 4 hours to find the real Full House house.  Mission: Accomplished.
that's me; the house has certainly fallen on hard times



tool. see- I can't keep track of my shoes.


The Doubtfire house this morning:


Rest in peace you magical creature.
xo.


2 comments:

  1. What a great tribute to a great man that so many of us felt connected to throughout our youth. Beautiful, and as always, very funny too. :-)

    ReplyDelete